Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Consumer who don't appreciate......

After a week of handling customers who wants to cancel their Bangkok trip or change their departure date... I do encounter some good and bad customers... 1st let me blog about the bad customers in Singapore...

Due to the Bangkok airport closure, customers who brought travel insurance was not covered because it is due to political unrest... after the next few days, the travel insurance sales inform me that they are making an exception for this case. They will just consider the matter as the airport closure.. And allow customer to claim if they are unable to depart due to Bangkok airport closure... I manage to highlight it to the travel insurance sales representative that many customer who wants to cancel are departing in mid Dec 08 and end Dec 08.. And the travel insurance sales allows passenger who departure till end of Dec08 to make their claim.

So i spread the news to my colleagues.. One of my colleagues call up this customers to tell her of the good news.. then gave her the Insurance claim dept no to call.. but this customer later call back and told my colleague that the insurance claim company direct her back to us... i was curious.. and i highlight this to the travel insurance sales.. and i make sure the insurance sales personnel call this customer personally.. Than that i realised from the travel insurance sales who told me that their claim dept did not refer this customer back to us.. they only told her to get a letter of prove from us.. So i start working on the letter for this customer.. then send an attached claim form and email them the required documents and steps on how to do the claim... then my colleague inform her to come down and collect...

In the evening, they came, 3 educated ladies (i was wondering why 3 educated ladies who speak good English don't understand what the insurance claim dept instruction?). i saw them giving my colleague a hard time.. and my colleague ask for my assist to talk to them... When i came over.. the first thing one of the lady told me right in my face "You don't even know your product well, how could you assist us?" i was stunned.. and i replay politely "Miss, this is the first time we met and i have not spoken anything to you yet, what make you so sure that i don't know the travel insurance product well?" and i gave them a smile... Then she said "you should not not 'non refundable' in the letter, like that how can we claim. You should put refundable.".. then i reply "Miss, i have been witting this letter for so many years and base on my experience, if i write refundable then the insurance will not allow you to claim, so i must state non refundable".. Then they still keep on arguing with me on that point.. i mean common sense will tell you that insurance only let you claim for irrecoverable cost that arise... Their tone was not pleasant.. But i try to keep my cool....

Then i also explain to them that i had also email the attached copy of the claim letter and the documents to submit for claim... They keep wanting me to assure that they can claim full amount.. and i told them, that is the insurance claim dept to decide, not me.. i cannot reply on behalf of the travel insurance claim dept... But i told them most of our customers manage to get their claim promptly without hassle... As they were leaving, one of the lady pass a comment that hurt me deep... She said sarcastically "Ok, we will use this letter to claim, if we were unable to get full amount claim, then we will go to CASE and file against you." My heart really sink when she said that... then i was feeling very upset... and don't have a chance to tell her off...

I'm here assist them to make a claim from the travel insurance and instead of saying thank you or appreciate... they in turn said such hurting words... As if i was suppose to help them without obligation... Actually they should talk to me nicely because i was trying to help them... I was upset the rest of the day... But i do encounter some understanding customers who said "Thanks for your help"....

No comments: