Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Lost CHildhood.. Do children have a choice?

I was wondering is it the parents who are stressing their child with plenty of tuition and extra curriculum activities.. or is it the educational system and syllabus...
My child studying in Tots House Kindergarten 2 and is loaded with plenty of school homework everyday.. and were given difficult words for spelling.. words like submarine, aeroplane etc.. for mandarin spelling, words like 潜水艇 also including Han Yi Pin Yin etc.. She also have to study subtraction and addition for maths.. When i was in Kindergarten.. i only learnt ABC, 123 and simple words like he, she they, 爸爸,公公,你,我... etc.. I don't know about PAP kindergarten syllabus... the end result weaker student could not catch up and develop a fear in study.. and parents have to enroll their child for different enrichment course...
At this stage of life, these children only likes to play.. That is their childhood.. I only enroll my child in Piano Lesson, Phonic & maths class and Han Yi Pin Yin class... And many people are telling me that i'm stressing my child with so much activities.. Phonic class is for her to catch up in English and Han Yi Pin Yin is for her to catch up in her Mandarin.. Additional is the piano lesson... Unlike my friends who are more extreme. They enroll their child for 5 to 6 courses... till their children complaint.. "Dad why don't i have my own free time..?" Every weekend is fill with courses..
So who is more kiasu, the parent or the education system...??

No comments: