Saturday, July 26, 2008

Fried Oyster - Teochew Dish

Last night i was watching the TV variety programme about "Fried Oyster" by our local TV host Zhong Qin.. It was during this programme that i learnt that Fried Oyster was a Teochew dish.. I'm a Teochew myself.. and never in my 35 years of life, my parent mention to me that Fried oyster was a teochew dish.. I had my first fried oyster at Toa Payoh when i was young.. and i do fell in love with it.. but as i grow up.. i was more careful with what i eat that i cut down on oily food.. fried oyster was a very oily dish..

In Singapore it was fried with oil, tapioca flour mixture, eggs and lastly add in the fresh oyster... season with fish sauce.. Served with fish sauce dippings or sour chilli sauce.. Singaporean don't like oyster too well done.. we prefer fresh and juicy oyster...

In china the oyster was mix with the potato flour mixture.. and fried with pork lard (definitely non halah).. then add the egg, turn up the heat.. add fish sauce... and fried till the eggs are crispy.. The result, crispy on the out side.. (crunchy) and soft on the inside.. and the fish sauce does compliment the oyster.... That was perfect... i almost drool in front of my TV..

No comments: