Saturday, June 14, 2008

Is our boys too lame for National Service??

The newspapers has been writing about the death of 2 National Service boys...
Is the training too tough for them.. or is it they are unfit.. or is it the instructor did not take measured precaution....??? So many questions....

Well National Service's training comparing from my father's pioneer days to my NS days unitll present have changed a lot... My father was the pioneer batch of NS and they are trained by the Isrealis... He told me training is super tough as the Isrealis really "Tekan" then.. like throwing their boots out from the bunk, if their boot is not mirror shine... Their unifom is the Kaki green and required to crispy starch.. The uniform nmust be able to stand up straight after starch.. (imgine how much starch they have to ironed on...) Those were my father's days...

My time was still tough in the 90's.. The instructors were like king... punishment like standby bed.. change parade... morning 5BX.. 150 counts of star jump, 150 counts of push up , 150 counts of Jumping Jacks.... is like everyday routine... We do not have much nights off even during our operational period... (our nights off, ten fingers can count) We were "Tekan" till no time to think about stupid things like "commit suside".. at nigth we fell sound asleep immeadiately after "Lights Off"... Food is terrible.. Noodle like rubberband, soup like plain water, plain rice like whole grain.... And we have to bring own metal tray and mugs during meal time.. To make it worst.. we have to do chin up before every meals....

During my reservist period, we were observing those recruits training... Our head shake... their punishment was just only 20 counts of push up or sit ups... and they have more regular canteen break... Booked out on Friday night... Food catered my Singapore Food industry are served in proper plate and cups.. And their "Ali baba" Bag got Wheels...!!!

SAF have also cut down on the training after a few accident happen before... Youngster now play too much computer games, and they are no physically fit.. Just like my wife's nephew.. everyday laze at home... and play PSP.. never get up to do some physical activities... cyber games.. will make youngster "lame"..I don't think cyber game is "cool" at all.. During my youger days, i play soccer wz my friend almost everyday after school (that is why my result not good)... I was fit and lean....

The new generation of youngster.. i will call them... CYBER GEN....

No comments: